Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Welcome back Kipper.
• Chris Pronger says he’s not retiring from the Philadelphia Flyers. On visors, he said today: “I would be for visors, but it’s a slippery slope by allowing the league to mandate that. I don’t think the players won’t do it, but it’s a slippery slope." [ Philly.com ]
• No Brad Richards for the New York Rangers against the New York Islanders tonight. He said his post-Kaleta injury is not long-term: “I went in (to the boards) pretty hard. I’ve just got to let the body regroup a little bit here … Obviously, the neck and back are a little locked up.” [ NYDN ]
• Patrick Sharp will not travel with the Chicago Blackhawks to Colorado on Friday night, and could miss a few weeks. [ @NHLBlackhawks ]
• Plan the parade: Claude Julien says the Toronto Maple Leafs are “legit contenders.” [ QMI ]
• Ian White hasn’t asked for a trade from the Detroit Red Wings … yet. [ Freep ]
• The Minnesota Wild are cool with realignment, for obvious reasons. Said Zenon Konopka: “We've got 14 teams on our side, so any time you've got a better chance to make the playoffs, it's a bonus, and there's a lot less travel for us. So, for us, it was a no-brainer that we approved it right away. We hope it goes through. I'm sure there's a few other people that have something to say about it." [ FS North ]
• Damien Cox doesn’t know who Daniel Wagner is. Turns out he’s the guy who exposed Damien Cox this morning. [ Backhand Shelf ]
• Great stuff from Elliotte Friedman on analytics in hockey. Said Don Fishman, Washington Capitals assistant GM: “Everyone wants a black-and-white answer: Will a trade work or not? Nate Silver said analytics won't provide that... You can't do that in sports. But they might let you know if there's a 60 per cent probability whether something will work. So, you can determine if there is a better chance the trade will succeed for you." [ CBC Sports ]
• Scott Burnside hands the Vezina Trophy at the halfway mark to … Antti Niemi? [ ESPN ]
Posted under NHL