Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Toews face is the best face.
• Sabres' GM Darcy Regier is looking for help, but it's slow going. "I’ve talked to some GMs the last few days. It’s a pretty quiet market right now. A number of teams have very small things they want to do, quite honestly, with the hope that whether it’s with their players or our players, they’re going to get them on track because of their previous history of them being a lot better. That kind of leaves it where we’re saying, 'Let’s touch base again later in the week or later on.' Teams sitting in positions similar to us are hoping to turn it around with the group that they have and then in the event they don’t, looking at the trade market. But as you said, it’s pretty soft right now." [ ESPN ]
• Why the Calgary Flames must shop Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff. [ Spector's Hockey ]
• Sweet story here of a dad recovering from triple bypass surgery in hospital that was able to listen to his seven-year-old son's hockey game on the radio. [ Metro News ]
• Sean McIndoe takes on two-goal leads: "My point is that calling a two-goal lead the 'worst lead in hockey' is dumb, and we all need to stop doing it. Literally 100 percent of two-goal leads that have ever been blown, in the entire history of ice hockey, were also one-goal leads along the way. If a two-goal lead was really worse than a one-goal lead, then teams that took a two-goal lead would immediately pull their goalie and shoot the puck into their own net to restore their one-goal lead, at which point their opponent would pull their goalie and shoot the puck into their own net, and the whole thing would continue for the rest of the game and it would all be ridiculous because we’d be living in a world where the concept of basic math no longer exists! [ Grantland ]
• On "the code," which Raffi Torres respected Thursday night. [ SI ]
• Is there a goalie controversy brewing in Anaheim? [ Anaheim Calling ]
• "Outspoken goalie Tim Thomas, acquired Thursday by the New York Islanders, sees his new team as an opportunity to re-launch Teddy Roosevelt's Progressive Party." [ Lighthouse Hockey ]
• How the Islanders' acquisition of (the contract of) Tim Thomas gives them flexibility at the deadline if they want to be sellers. [ Hockey Independent ]
Posted under NHL